[Feature Request] Static Linking

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
YogiYang

[Feature Request] Static Linking

Post by YogiYang »

For clubbing/embedding all dependency files in one single big EXE I have been using Fusion 2.0. It is very old bu it just works!

This software has got facility to automatically analyze the selected Input File and automatically suggest to add the dependency files. Such feature is a killer feature and will help user a lot in cutting down their time in adding dependency files to project.

Secondly if we select a DLL file for clubbing it also gives facility to statically link that file to the final EXE so that there is no need to ever extract this file at all at runtime. I use this feature of Fusion a lot especially for VB6 runtime file. :)

I also use this feature for many third party DLLs that I use frequently. Of course this technique will only work for those files which are static DLLs built with true compiles like Delpih, PureBasic, VC++, etc.
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Static Linking

Post by Enigma »

Hi YogiYang,

I agree and disagree regarding your suggestion.

Why agree - we have already thought about the feature that will run the input file in the debug mode and it will analyze what files and registry this file uses for execution. Then you will be able to add these dependences to project file. This will be done in some future versions of Enigma Virtual Box.

Why disagree - because Enigma Virtual Box is mainly tool for developers. Because only developers of the particular program\game know correct list of all dependences. If the people without well knowledge will use this dependences feature they could just damage packed file.

But anyway, this feature is in TODO list and it will be made someday.
YogiYang

Post by YogiYang »

Thanks for considering this feature request.
Why disagree - because Enigma Virtual Box is mainly tool for developers. Because only developers of the particular program\game know correct list of all dependences. If the people without well knowledge will use this dependences feature they could just damage packed file.
I think you need to conduct a survey for developers. You will be surprised that more than 40% do not know as to what goes in the installation of the software that is written by them. This especially the case with VB6 and .Net developers. You see in big software firms the developer is never creating installers for the software. There is a separate team which does the grunt work. :). In fact they (developers) are not in the least interested in the process of building an installer! :mrgreen:
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Yes, based on the same thoughts we decided to include such dependences walker feature to the TODO list!

So this feature will appear in some next version.