[Bug] Boxed app doesn't work in root folders (C, D, E, ...)

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
letmeindude

[Bug] Boxed app doesn't work in root folders (C, D, E, ...)

Post by letmeindude »

It works in sub-folders, but if I put a boxed app in C:\, D:\ or E:\, it won't even start (works fine in v3.0).

Btw, option "Delete extracted on exit" deletes only files, so I can get a lot of empty folders.
Maybe there is a registry option to delete folders, too?
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: [Bug] Boxed app doesn't work in root folders (C, D, E, .

Post by Enigma »

Hi letmeindude,

Thanks you for the feedback, very appreciate it!

Yes, agree, there was a bug that appeared if the boxed file is running in a root folder, it is solved in below version.

Also, in new version there had been made an improvement, that will deletes all temporary folders that boxed application created for extracted files.

But, the most big advantage of this version - there is made full support for execution of virtualized exe files with option "Never write to disk".

So, letmeindude, just add all the files that your application is using in Enigma, do not use Always write to disk and Write is does not exist options, use only "Never write to disk" for all the files, and, on the Options tab check the new feature - Map executable files using temporary file.

There is a link to this new version:
http://enigmaprotector.com/assets/files ... 110919.exe
letmeindude

Post by letmeindude »

Wow, amazing changes. Thank you.

After some testing here are my observations:

- Boxed app made with v3.20 is a little slower in work (extracting in this case) than boxed app made with v3.10.

- [Bug] Although "Map executable files using temporary file" is checked by default in the GUI, it's not really enabled, so to enable it I needed to unchecked it.

- [Bug] To make boxed app work correctly I had to enable "Share virtual system to child processes". In v3.10 I had to disable this option to make it work. Maybe same bug as above check=disabled; uncheck=enabled?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

See what is there:
letmeindude wrote:- Boxed app made with v3.20 is a little slower in work (extracting in this case) than boxed app made with v3.10.
Yes, it is slower, but you should not use this function anymore, i.e. for each exe file that you have, edit the properties, and select the action in properties as "Never Write to Disk". Does it make sense?
letmeindude wrote:- [Bug] Although "Map executable files using temporary file" is checked by default in the GUI, it's not really enabled, so to enable it I needed to unchecked it.
Yes, it is enable by default for a new project, but it is disabled for existing project, so you have to check it!
letmeindude wrote:- [Bug] To make boxed app work correctly I had to enable "Share virtual system to child processes". In v3.10 I had to disable this option to make it work. Maybe same bug as above check=disabled; uncheck=enabled?
Just do not use it. Use "Map executable files using temporary file" instead. And the most common, do not forget to set action in properties for all exe files as "Never write to disk"!

I tested your application with new 3.20, works really great, no files are being extracted to disk, everything is virtualized!
letmeindude

Post by letmeindude »

Enigma wrote:Yes, it is slower, but you should not use this function anymore, i.e. for each exe file that you have, edit the properties, and select the action in properties as "Never Write to Disk". Does it make sense?
No, no, it is slower when I use "Never Write to Disk". I didn't use existing project, I started from scratch, so all files were set to "Never Write to Disk" by default.

Mentioned app is extractor, and I can see the progress while it is extracting files from some installer. And I can see that it's faster when I box it with v3.10.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Ah, ok, but my main goal was the workability of new version, so executable files can now be virtualized, and it is really huge improvement.

We will surely re-check why it is slower, that's because we did not release it as official version, but it works!
letmeindude

Post by letmeindude »

Yes, yes it works. I agree it's a huge improvement.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

ok, great, and thanks you very much for the feedback!