Enigma VB not working on some systems

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
robert256

Enigma VB not working on some systems

Post by robert256 »

Hi Enigma,

Thank you for this magnificent tool! I'm considering buying a Protector license, but came across a problem: on some computers the packed virtual files can't be found, and the packed exe exits with an error (for instance can't find dll etc.).
I have noticed this in computers where the program is run from a UNC path (network desktop).
It seems the working directory isn't properly set to the exe folder for UNC paths, because when I specifically call SetCurrentDirectory( unc_path ) at the start of the program it works fine and it can find the default directory.
Also, when I run the program from a normal path (say C:\temp), it works without problems.
So, I suspect the working directory isn't properly set for UNC paths.

I have noticed this 'bug' also when trying to pack other software into a portable version. Unfortunately I don't have the source code for those programs, so setting the current directory is not an option in these cases and the packed programs won't run.
Is this a bug? If not, would it be possible to have an option in VB and Protector to specifically set the current directory to the folder the exefile is in?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Robert
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Enigma VB not working on some systems

Post by Enigma »

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, I have to confirm that virtual box does not work with UNC paths. We did not check it more deeper, what could be wrong there, but after quick testing our samples really do not work.

We will check the problem more carefully and fix it.

If you need a feature to set the current directory before program starts, then yes, it can be done via Enigma Protector and it's plugin system. There is a function Enigma_Plugin_OnFinal, you can call the function SetCurrentDirectory there to change, pretty simple solution if it will work for you.
robert256

Post by robert256 »

Hi Enigma,
Thank you for your reply. It could be something very simple, like a missing backslash in the path (the msdn description says it will be added when necessary, but I noticed some problems there with UNC paths. When it ends with a backslash, the function works fine.
Best regards, Robert
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Thank you for the information, but looks like the problem in Enigma is deeper, since it requires a drive number if the path, that is missed in UNC path.
Anyway, we will try to fix it.