Integrate program-settings in virtualized applications?

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
ValentinJns

Integrate program-settings in virtualized applications?

Post by ValentinJns »

Hello all,
I am new to EVB and already successfully managed to virtualize some little programs. Unfortunately, I didn't understand how to integrate program-settings (like: turn auto-update-search of, ...) into the Exe-File. I only managed to configurate this program-settings after starting the created Exe-File, but these settings then only apply to the current computer (are apparently saved in C:\Windows\Prefetch I think).
I would be very happy if someone could explain to me how to integrate program settings into the Exe-File beforehand.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Valentin
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Integrate program-settings in virtualized applications?

Post by Enigma »

Hi Valentin,

Program settings are usually stored in a separate file (or registry key). You need to identify this file yourself. This file should not be added to virtualization of Virtual Box, otherwise the changes that program makes to this will be overwritten by Virtual Box after next file start. Changes that are made to virtual files are not being saved and being discarded after appliaction restart.
ValentinJns

Post by ValentinJns »

Thank you very much!
It is working with setting-files from AppData-folder.
But how does it work with registry keys? Is there any Tutorial how to integrate registry keys in a virtual file?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

ValentinJns wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:33 pm But how does it work with registry keys? Is there any Tutorial how to integrate registry keys in a virtual file?
Virtual Registry keys can be added to packed application using EVB - Registry feature and also, they can be appended using Packaging feature.

It works with registry almost same way as for files. Application can read registry keys, even modify and add them, but all changes will be discarded after restart.
ValentinJns

Post by ValentinJns »

Thank you very much, that helped me a lot!
Valentin