Passing arguments to main executable for interpreters and usability

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
karsky

Passing arguments to main executable for interpreters and usability

Post by karsky »

I seem it very reliable to create standalone interpretable executables with Enigma VB, I can send usable command-line php, python scripts to the community, without relying on compiled languages and installed software and security of applications.

The main downside is that I have to use intermediary tools as such bat2exe converters to pass arguments to main interpreters to execute the script code with its location.
Also additional delay between executiion and overall complexity.

Feature request design could be some field for configuration like:
main_interpreter.exe -f script.php <arg1> <arg2>

<arg1> <arg2> — are user passed command-line arguments

This feature exists in co-like software as BoxedApp, but it lacks better compatibility and better compression and speed.
Thank you.
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Passing arguments to main executable for interpreters and usability

Post by Enigma »

Hi, such feature exists in our commercial software Enigma Protection, option Miscellaneous - Command Line.
karsky

Post by karsky »

Enigma wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:37 am Hi, such feature exists in our commercial software Enigma Protection, option Miscellaneous - Command Line.
Oh, didn't expect, alright, thanks
karsky

Post by karsky »

Enigma wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:37 am Hi, such feature exists in our commercial software Enigma Protection, option Miscellaneous - Command Line.
Hello again, I wrote an article about PHP console apps mentioning your software :)
Could you please tell me what compression method does Enigma use, is it LZMA2?
Interpreter with LZMA2 compression weighs 1.5mb, but with Enigma 2.7mb (after disabling everything in options tab), is there any way to shrink this size more?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi, there is used custom compression algorithm optimized for executable files.

Agree that it does not provide such compression as LZMA does, because LMZA compresses whole file, but EVB compresses only embedded file (not the file itself and not the loader).
karsky

Post by karsky »

Enigma wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 am Hi, there is used custom compression algorithm optimized for executable files.

Agree that it does not provide such compression as LZMA does, because LMZA compresses whole file, but EVB compresses only embedded file (not the file itself and not the loader).
Don't mean to complain, but 1.2mb for a loader is kinda huge (if we are extracting all the files without a need for virtual environment hooks), the init exe file itself is 32-bit and weighs 80kb, would be nice to see lzma2 compression option with in the future👍🏻
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Loader should be lower in size really. However compression algorithm we are using is not so smart as LZMA, but it performs very quick unpacking (quicker than LZMA does) which affects execution time.
Btw, take a look at the option "Share to processes of all platforms", disablining this option reduces the file.
karsky

Post by karsky »

Enigma wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:58 am Loader should be lower in size really. However compression algorithm we are using is not so smart as LZMA, but it performs very quick unpacking (quicker than LZMA does) which affects execution time.
Btw, take a look at the option "Share to processes of all platforms", disablining this option reduces the file.
Thanks, I already disabled all of them, reducing final executable size for 100kb, of course lzma should be optional if it ever will exist in Enigma VB, I unpack files only once (probably like most of users) to predefined location, in this case time vs. size can be a trade-off, thank you for thorough answers :)
karsky

Post by karsky »

@Enigma, Hello, is there any plans to support lzma in the following release? (: