Can't get it to work

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Harry Phace

Can't get it to work

Post by Harry Phace » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 am

I'm new to EVB and I just tried my first build. Selected an exe, and built it the desktop.

When I run it, it creates files on the desktop and modifies the Registry, with these changes still there when the exe quits. I thought it was supposed to sandbox everything from the host PC?

I was really looking forward to this. :| What am I doing wrong?

Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Can't get it to work

Post by Enigma » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Harry Phace,

Yes, you have some misunderstanding of EVB functionality. It does not do a sandbox (at least for files, for registry it may do sandbox functionality anyway).

EVB emulates the files, like they exists on the disk. For example, if you have an application that contains from main executable and many other files like dll, pictures, data files and so, by adding these files into Files tree and then packing, you get a standalone exe file that can be working without these having these files on the disk.

The idea of EVB is similar with sandbox but not exactly same.

Harry Phace

Post by Harry Phace » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 pm

So if I include all the files that the exe uses, and then burn the single exe onto a CD and run it from there, it'll run even though it can't create the files on the CD?

Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes, that's right. But only in case, if you include all the files, and the files to which program tries to write in.