How to handle auto-updates with Virtual Box?

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
jsal

How to handle auto-updates with Virtual Box?

Post by jsal »

Hello,

I've created a small personal finance management application for Windows, which is composed by a couple of files.
To simplify deployment I'm trying Enigma Virtual Box, and so for I'm impressed. It creates a single exe which improves a lot the user experience and the onboarding of the application.
I'm definitely considering using Virtual Box in production environment, but I still haven't found how to deal with automatic updates.

In other words, the current version of the application is detecting new versions online, and if the user presses "update", it downloads the new version, executes the installer of the new version and closes itself for the installer to proceed. The installer takes care of removing the old version.

Changing to Virtual Box will help me get rid of the installer, but I don't know see a way to make the auto-update work. The first steps will be the same (user presses yes, new version is automatically downloaded), but I don't see how to perform the last steps with Virtual Box - execute the new version and close+delete the existing version - since the "boxed.exe" file is locked during execution.

What do you recommend for dealing with this issue?
perfectcode

Re: How to handle auto-updates with Virtual Box?

Post by perfectcode »

text removed
Last edited by perfectcode on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Agree with zylongaming, that's a solution.
popcade

Post by popcade »

Don't have to change your code, just have a external update checker with NSIS etc, like:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Check_online_for_Updates

Then
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Remote_Secure_Installer

This is an external thing and sould not interfere with your normal building/packing routines.