Redirect shell folders inside an executable file

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
cesar300

Redirect shell folders inside an executable file

Post by cesar300 »

Hi:
Is it possible change path of user shell folders (Example: Documents) via the virtual registry?
Better explanation:
I have an executable that search files on My Documents folder and I want to change this search to the app path (Default folder). I tried to export the registry keys and imported to exe already changed; and the strange thing is the following. Tested the app on windows XP and works OK (Searchs files inside app path), tested on windows 7 and later, and still searchs in my documents folder, ignores the imported reg keys. What happens?
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Redirect shell folders inside an executable file

Post by Enigma »

Hi, not sure about that issue, but have you tried to edit the registry in Windows 7/10, does it work? So if you change the real registry, does it search in changed path?
cesar300

Post by cesar300 »

Thanks for the reply.
I already tried that and always search in the real registry. Ignores the virtual registry in the executable. But in XP overrides the real registry using the virtual one.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

OK, but if you manually change real keys, then it works? I mean that application starts to search in the changed path, right?

What I'm trying to identify, that maybe on Windows 7 the system is using some different keys to identify My Documents folder and the value of keys you are using does not matter.
cesar300

Post by cesar300 »

Yes it works changing real keys. The registry keys I'm using are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

If I don't wrong, these are the same keys in Windows XP.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Please also clarify two questions:
1. Is it .NET application?
2. If it is not .net, is it 32 or 64 bit app?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

We just tried to reproduce the problem and was unable to do that.

We developed an application that reads values from this key. Set up a set of virtual values and packed the application. Then run it and application showed us virtual values instead of real. So all is working well there.

I still doubt that this issue relates to EVB.
cesar300

Post by cesar300 »

Is a 32 bit app and I using windows 10 pro 64 bit. Evb always worked for me, in fact I tried with other apps and all OK.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Maybe there is something application specific.

If you send this non packed app to us at support@enigmaprotector.com and explain how to test it out, we can check what could be wrong there.
cesar300

Post by cesar300 »

I don't think so. It may be due to something related with windows 7 and up. I don't know how it works on XP and not on newer operating systems.
The app I'm using is a executable video game which I'm trying to save the data (including save game) in a subfolder where is the exe dir instead of documents folder. Tested the same with other games and the same happens (XP yes, 7 8.1 10 no). And also occurs with appdata, local appdata and programdata folders.